The contest will be held on Saturday, March 25, 2017
- Contest is open to any active ISFA member or any employee of an active ISFA member. THERE IS A $50.00 ENTRY FEE AND PAYMENT MUST BE INCLUDED WITH APPLICATION.
- Each contestant will be required to make three designs and the designs must be designed on site. Sympathy Arrangement, Bridal Bouquet and Duplicate. Contestants may only bring their scissors, knife, wire cutters and stem cutters. All flowers, greens, accessories, containers and supplies will be provided by ISFA for all three designs. Supplies may include floral tape, oasis tape, utility wire, wooden picks, oasis, oasis glue and pan glue and skillet. Any of the supplies may be used in any or all of the designs. No background or display may be used on any design unless provided by ISFA. Contestants will have two hours to complete the three designs. ANY CONTESTANT USING ANY PRODUCT OR SUPPLIES NOT PROVIDED BY ISFA WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- SYMPATHY ARRANGEMENT AND BRIDAL BOUQUET: Each contestant will be given identical flowers, greens, accessories and containers to work with and it can only be used in these two designs. Contestant may use any of the material provided for the sympathy arrangement and bridal bouquet. Contestant may use as little or as much as they choose. The bridal bouquet must be designed to be carried by a model and must be detachable from the stand for final judging. DUPLICATE ARRANGEMENT: Each contestant will be given identical flowers, greens, accessories and container to work with and it can only be used in this design. Contestant will receive image of arrangement that must be duplicated exactly as shown.
- Contestants are asked to report to the Designer of the Year Chairman one hour prior to the start of the contest for briefing. Each contestant will draw a sealed envelope containing three numbers selected at random, one number for each completed design. The Designer of the Year Committee will retain a master sheet containing each contestant’s name and selected numbers. No one other than the Designer of the Year Committee will have access to this document.
- Entries will be judged following the completion of the competition. The judges will have access to the judges score sheets only. Each entry will be judged for its individual merit. Completed designs will be grouped by design category. Upon completion each judge will place all score sheets in an envelope and give to the Designer of the Year Chairman.
- A total point system will be used with a possible 100 points given each design by each judge. Designs will be judged in ten categories: Design will be judged in ten categories: Interpretation, Creativity, Scale (Proportional), Unity (Harmony and Texture), Balance (Physical and Visual), Focal Emphasis, Line (Movement and Rhythm), Depth, Color Balance (Harmony and Rhythm) and Mechanics. Points will be awarded as follows: 0-2 Poor; 3-5 Fair, 6-8 Good and 9-10 Excellent. The winner will be selected by adding the scores, with the title of Designer of the Year being awarded to the contestant with the highest number of points. The contestant with the second highest number of points will be first runner-up and the contestant with the third highest number of points will be the second runner-up. Employees or family members of the Designer of the Year Committee are ineligible to compete.
- Two or more members of the Designer of the Year Committee will tabulate the results of the judges’ scores and will retain the information until the awards presentation. In the event of a tie in determining the winner, first runner-up and/or second runner-up, eliminating the Sympathy Arrangement will break the tie. If a tie still exists the score interpretation will be eliminated.
- The first place winner will receive 50/50 cash prize (50% of total entry fees), the Designer of the Year trophy to retain for one year and the opportunity to design at the 2018 Annual Floral Design Show. They will have the option to represent ISFA at the Mid America Cup at Arkansas Florist Association’s Annual Convention in August, 2018 or NAFA in Chicago at your own expense.
- The first runner up will be awarded a 2018 Annual Floral Design Show full registration and a plaque and the second runner up will receive 2018 Annual Floral Design Show regular hands on class and a plaque. In the event of other contests where the Designer of the Year will be representing ISFA, he/she must be engaged in the floral industry and employed by an active ISFA member shop. If the Designer of the Year is disqualified, the first runner-up will represent ISFA. If the Designer of the Year and the first runner up are disqualified, the second runner up will represent ISFA.
- ALL ENTRIES MUST BE REGISTERED NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, March 10, 2017.
- Each contestant must have a full or conference registration to the Annual Floral Design Show and will be responsible for their personal ISFA conference expenses.
- Individuals are not eligible to compete within 1 year of winning Designer of the Year.